'Shrek,' Mel and Moore Lead People's
January 10, 2005
The stars braved an extremely wet Los Angeles evening
for the People's Choice Awards, Sunday, but even the
worst Tinseltown's worst storms in years didn't dampen
the glamour on the red carpet (even if there wasn't
actually a carpet, due to the rain) and the excitement
onstage as America picked its favorite entertainers
of the year.
The year's two most controversial movies claimed top
honors, as Michael Moore's "Fahrenheit 9/11"
took the Favorite Movie Award and Mel Gibson's "The
Passion of the Christ" received the honor for Favorite
But the big name of the night was "Shrek,"
which the people chose for Favorite Comedy, Favorite
Sequel and Favorite Animated Movie, with Eddie Murphy's
Donkey taking Favorite Animate Character and Fairy Godmother
scoring as Favorite Movie Villain.
Pretty Mamma Julia Roberts was awarded Favorite Female
Movie Star as well as Favorite Smile; Johnny Depp took
home the award for Favorite Male Movie Star; Will Smith
nabbed Favorite Male Action Star and Angelina Jolie
took Female Action Star.
On the TV tip, Ellen DeGeneres scored a double, earning
Favorite Talk Show Host and Favorite Funny Lady, Matt
LeBlanc and Marg Helgenberger scored Favorite Male and
Female TV stars. The ladies of Wisteria Lane collected
the award for Favorite New TV Series, while "CSI"
was named Favorite TV Drama and Nick and Jessica received
Favorite Reality Show 24-7.
Musical winners included U2 for Favorite Group, Usher
for Favorite Male Singer, Alicia Keys for Favorite Female
Singer, Shania Twain for Favorite Female Country Singer,
while Tim McGraw took Favorite Male Country Singer.
Don't miss Monday's edition of "Extra" for
all of the backstage and red carpet action.
Here is the complete list of winners:
- Motion picture: "Fahrenheit 9/11"
- Drama motion picture: "The Passion of the Christ"
- Comedy motion picture: "Shrek 2"
- Animated motion picture: "Shrek 2"
- Favorite sequel: "Shrek 2"
- Animated movie star: Donkey in "Shrek 2"
(voiced by Eddie Murphy)
- Movie villain: The Fairy Godmother in "Shrek
2 "(voiced by Jennifer Saunders)
- Favourite on-screen chemistry: Drew Barrymore and
Adam Sandler in "50 First Dates"
- Female movie star: Julia Roberts
- Male movie star: Johnny Depp
- Female action movie star: Angelina Jolie
- Male action movie star: Will Smith
- Leading lady: Renee Zellweger
- Leading man: Brad Pitt
- Funny female star: Ellen DeGeneres
- Funny male star: Jim Carrey
- Television drama series: "CSI: Crime Scene
- Television comedy series: "Will & Grace"
- New television comedy series: "Joey"
- New television drama series: "Desperate Housewives"
- Female television star: Marg Helgenberger
- Male television star: Matt LeBlanc
- Late night talk show host: David Letterman
- Daytime talk show host: Ellen DeGeneres
- Reality show, competition: "American Idol"
- Reality show, makeover: "Extreme Makeover Home
- Reality show, 24/7: "Newlyweds: Nick &
- Crest fans favorite smile: Julia Roberts
- Pantene fans favorite hair: Jennifer Garner
- Cover Girl fans favorite look: Kate Hudson
- Favorite group: U2
- Female singer: Alicia Keys
- Male singer: Usher
- Favorite remake: "The First Cut is the Deepest"
by Sheryl Crow
- Favorite combined forces: "Yeah" by Usher/Lil
- Country group: Brooks & Dunn
- Country female singer: Shania Twain
- Country male singer: Tim McGraw